With our oral presentation last Tuesday, my team has finally marked an end to our involvement in the ES2007S research project. Naturally, my first reaction towards the end was that of elation, especially since my team was the first to present, and consequently, the first to finish. However, as I looked back at the progress my team has made over the past few weeks on the project, as well as our presentation, I realize that there is still much room for improvement. Let me just mention a few points I have noted myself:
Delivery
Firstly, I felt that my team’s slides were probably not at minimalist as they could have been, and thus, we, the presenters, were unable to fully capture the audience’s attention on ourselves. In line with the recommendations by Garr Reynolds, my team has aimed to use as few words on the slides as possible. However, my team (or at least I) is nevertheless not quite used to not having information written explicitly on the slides and felt that the audience might not be used to minimalist approach to slides as well. This proved to be a stumbling block for us in following Reynolds’ suggestions. However, having experienced the audience’s fixation with screen during our presentation, I know now that I should have followed Garr Reynolds’ advice more closely, and aim to do so in future presentations.
Secondly, I have been told (and know) that I referred to cue cards a little too much during my presentation. I think that this is because it was my first time presenting with only diagrams on the slides. As such, I realize that I could have done with a bit more practice, such that I can remember clearly what to say during each stage, rather than to have to refer.
Thirdly, I felt that (and as noted by Rohan) I could have infused a little more humour into my team’s presentation and made it a tad light-hearted. It has been, and will always remain my nature to aim to invoke some laughter during presentations. However, I suppose I lacked the confidence to do so during this presentation as my team was the first to go, and my preparations for the presentation were slightly lacking. As such, I aim to be better prepared in future presentations, and to try to always infuse a little intelligent humour.
The fourth, and I suppose the most important point, is that I felt that I could have done with more practice. My team had originally planned to have a rehearsal on the day before the presentation, but realized then that our slides had to be improved. As such, we spent much of our time working on the slides, and did not quite run through what we wanted to say. Granted that there was a limitation on time, I feel that I should have planned the rehearsal earlier, so that my team could have been prepared for contingencies such as this.
Content
In terms of the content, I felt that my team’s recommendations were not exactly well thought out. The main contributory factor was perhaps that there was a lack of time and proper resources. Although my team have tried to cover as much as ground as possible in support of our proposals, I would have been more comfortable with a feasibility study. This is because I felt that I could better convince the audience of the impact of our recommendations if such a study was done. In retrospect, I feel that I should have gotten the team to conduct a little bit of research into the feasibility of our proposal, even though it was not explicitly required in the project.
Conclusion
Having said my piece, I hope that those who had attended my presentation would be able to give me further comments, or simply express your opinion on whether you agree with my self-assessment.
And lastly, I would like to thank my team members Nicole and Godwin, with whom I have truly enjoyed working with. I feel each of you have contributed selflessly and meaningfully to the project, and that I could not have hoped for better team dynamics.
Dear Clement,
ReplyDeleteVery well analyzed. I agree with most of your thoughts.
I had a few pieces of feedback as well. Felt I missed your usual energy during the presentation. I guess your point about practice is valid.
And I did feel that the cue cards were distracting. I generally tell anyone who will listen never to carry a cue card or a piece of paper when presenting as the temptation to just take a peek is HUGE. It's a scary thought but taking the leap of faith often helps.
I enjoyed your presentation - especially all the data crunching!
All the very best for future presentations!
Cheers
Rohan
Hi Rohan,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment.
Interestingly, I do quite disagree with your point about the cue cards. Indeed, it is tempting to take a peek, but I always feel that it is better to have a backup, than to completely blank out.
In any case, I guess it boils down to the level of preparation for the presentation. If I were more well-versed with the content, I would not have needed the cue cards.
Cheers!
Hello Clement!
ReplyDeleteI have to say. Good job with presenting the flow chart for your part of the presentation! I know you were a little unsure about just having that flowchart with not many words on the slide. During your presentation, Godwin turned to tell me 'Wow he's doing a good job with that!' or something like that. Indeed you were! Well done!
With regards to Rohan's point about the cue cards, I feel that it is a good thing to have in case you forget what you are supposed to say. But just need to make sure you don't keep looking at it. It really was quite distracting.
Indeed, if we had more time, more improvements could be made and we could be more familiar with the content.
Anyway, good job! It has been a pleasure working with you!!
~nicole
Hi Nicole,
ReplyDeleteThank you.
I really must say that I did not realise that I had looked at my cue cards so often during my presentation till Rohan and you mentioned it. I suppose that stemmed from the fact that I was not used to have only flowcharts to aid my presentation?
Nevertheless, I will look to improve on this in future presentations and make sure I am more confident of the content I am presenting.
In any case, many thanks again for working with me and putting up with my nonsense. And again, I really did enjoy working with you and Godwin.
Hi Clement,
ReplyDeleteI guess you were indeed not comfortable presenting with such minimalistic approach. More practice would definitely help. In terms of delivery, I like your fluency and your tone of presentation.
However, for this presentation, I felt you were not very confident. Perhaps it was the content which you felt was lacking in some sense.
As for the cue cards, I am sure you can do a good presentation without it. I have to agree with Rohan on the temptation of the cue cards. Without the cue cards, I guess you would be more natural. At times, without a planned backup, it just forced you to perform better.
With more experience in this new presentation style, I’m sure you will gain more confidence in the future.
Lastly, thanks for being a good group chairperson! Appreciate all the hard work for team GNC!
Cheers,
Godwin
Dear Clement,
ReplyDeleteI generally have nothing much to say about the content of the presentation, having made my peace with that during the Q&A session. With that in mind, I would just be commenting on your delivery.
I felt that your delivery was good, mostly due to the fact that you have a loud strong powerful voice which is capable of keeping most people awake. Your pronunciation was near flawless as well; most of your words were pounced clearly. The pace at which you spoke was comfortable and blended in nicely with the tone of your voice.
With regards to the usage of cue cards, I for one feel that it is better to have a backup just in case. As the saying goes “Hope for the best, but plan for the worst”. It never hurts to have a set of cue cards or a piece of paper in hand just in case something bad happens or you miss out your lines.
All in all, it was a highly enjoyable presentation. Great Job!
Regards,
Joshua
Hi Godwin,
ReplyDeleteIndeed you are right that I found the content to be somewhat lacking, which affected my confidence. But I suppose the content part could not be helped, due to the limitations of the project. So, I guess I probably should have instead tried to not let that affect my confidence so much.
Once again, thank you. I have really enjoyed having you as my team-mate in this project, and look forward to opportunities to working with you again.
Hi Joshua,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comments. I particularly like how you have "analysed" my presentation skills. Indeed you are well-versed in science undergraduate report writing!
I am glad that finally someone agrees with me on the cue cards part, but from the comments I have received from others, I am beginning to lean towards the other side. Nevertheless, I believe I would still prepare cue cards for future presentations, but perhaps keep them in a place that is slightly out-of-reach, so that I have a back-up, but yet not be tempted to just read off the cards.
Hi Clement,
ReplyDeleteAlthough points rose by Rohan and Godwin on the cue cards make sense, I have to agree with you as well. As what you have mentioned, it definitely beat standing in front of the audience with a blank mind. To Rohan and Godwin, I am not trying to say that it is impossible to present without cue cards. But I guess the role of the cue card in this case helps boost confidence and calm the presenter down, especially if he/she is someone with little experience with oral presentation. With more oral presentation training and gaining of more confidence, one can slowly improve and achieve presenting without the need for cue cards.
Aside that, as mentioned in Godwin’s blog, I love your team’s powerpoint slides. There is indeed a “WOW” factor to it and it is a very informative presentation. However, one area to be improved would be the clarity of your slides especially that of your team’s survey and interview data.
As for your delivery, as expected, you were confident verbally and maintained balanced eye contacts with the audience. Some points to note would be like what the others have mentioned earlier would be the excessive reliance on your cue cards. It tend to be rather distracting with you trying to look down at your cue cards and looking up at the audience repeatedly. A suggestion would be to hold up your cue cards to take a glace rather than looking down at them. It may help you look for confident. Other than that, I would say you have improved based on the impression of your peer teaching session. There was a good pace of your presentation.
A great job done, Clement!
Clement,
ReplyDeleteYou were confident and made a very good headstart to the presentation. Your first impression made to the audience was awesome... until you started to look down at your cue cards! Your reading off cue cards was especially obvious compared to others because you are very tall. You know, I never dared to prepare cue cards for myself even though they are very tempting to make. But I resist that and I never made cue cards because I don't want to create temptations for myself to succumb to (laughs out loud). The seemingly innocent cards put you through a vicious cycle becuase the more you refer the greater the tendency to continue refering and there goes all the supposedly-possible good eye contact.
I actually had very high expectations of your performance Clement, because we've all seen how you always carried yourself in class discussions and other presentations per say. And so I feel that you weren't at your best that day (mostly attributing to the use of cue cards).
There are no rules to accomplishment. Go Clement, work your way to excellence.
Hi Emily and Diana,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comments. Indeed, it does seem that the use of cue cards did quite ruin my presentation. I will keep that in mind, and as I have mentioned earlier, try to use cue cards strictly only as a back-up.